PTA News: October 2016
Letter from the LTES PTA President
THANK YOU to everyone who has joined the PTA so far! Haven't joined yet? JOIN NOW
I am excited to announce all PTA officer positions have been filled. YAY!!!! Meet your PTA officers!
- PTA President – Janeen Parrott
- 1st Vice President (Internal Committees) – Mark McLendon
- 2nd Vice President (External Communications) – Donna Garcia
- 3rd Vice President (Volunteer Coordinator) – Laura Sechrist
- Treasurer – Donna James
- Secretary – Ed Hau
We are all off and running, working to fulfill the commitments and responsibilities of each role. So, you may get an email or phone call from one of us asking if you can volunteer or we may be just checking in to see if you need assistance with the committee you may have volunteered to chair. You can always reach out to us as well, using the Board Contacts.
In years past, many of the PTA activities were planned and organized by PTA officers and a few volunteers. We're trying to do things differently this year. It is our desire to have more parents involved with the planning and operation of PTA activities. As a result, most of the events on the PTA calendar will ONLY happen if we have a non-PTA officer chair or co-chair to plan and organize the event. Most events are annual events and LTES traditions, so being the chair should not require the need to start from scratch. We have notes and lessons learned to start from. Please take a few seconds to look at the list of upcoming events that need chairpersons. Contact Laura Sechrist, email@example.com or Janeen Parrott, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to chair or co-chair an event. The PTA officers and board members will assist all chairpersons with planning and organization. Our philosophy and motto this year is ‘Many hands make light work’. So the more volunteers, the lighter the workload. We hope to work with you soon!
- November 11 – Bingo/Family Game Night & Silent Auction
* Event pending committee co-chairs named by October 19th
- December 9 – Movie Night
* Event pending committee chairs named by October 28th
- January 6 – Citizenship Essay Contest Entries Due
* LTES participation pending committee co-chairs named by November 23rd
- January 24 – ‘Soup’er Bowl (soup sharing event)
*Event pending weather & committee co-chairs by December 6th
- January 27 – Power Plates Contest Entries Due
* LTES participation pending committee co-chairs named by December 6th
- February 17 – Family Dance
* Event pending committee co-chairs named by January 6th
- March 10 – Boosterthon Fun Run
Need committee co-chairs
- April 5 – PTA Reception before 3rd/4th Grade Showcase
* Pending committee chair
- May 6 – Family Fun Fair
* Event pending committee co-chairs named by February 11th
We are excited to host and support our school with several activities and events this fall.
- October 17 - 21 – Book Fair (Order online through Oct. 28th)
Volunteers still needed, especially Thursday and Friday. Sign Up Here
- October 17 - 21 – Bus Driver Appreciation Week
Take a few seconds to wish our bus drivers and crossing guards well and let them know how much we appreciate ALL that they do for us!
- October 20th at 7pm – 6th Grade Party Committee Meeting
Contact Kari Alexander for more information
- October 21st, 6pm-8pm – International Night
Volunteers still needed. Sign up Here
Set-up/Clean-up volunteers arrive at 4:30 PM and check-in
All other participants (food, performances, cultural objects) arrive at 5:30 PM
- October 26th 5pm-8pmLTES – Spirit Night at McDonald's
- October 28th 8:30am-9:30am – PTA Meeting
Ms. Padmore will be sharing about our focus as a school and Ms. Carnahan, our librarian, will present on use of the FCPS databases.
- November 10th – Make-up Day for Pictures
- November 11th – Bingo and Family Game Night with a Silent Auction
* We need co-chair(s) for this event by Oct. 19th
- November 16th at 6:30pm – 1st/2nd Grade Showcase
- November 18th – Thanksgiving Lunch
Volunteers will be needed
- November 29th, 6:30pm-7:30pm – PTA Meeting
Every year, Virginia’s local PTA units (like us) approve a legislation program that represents its official position on a wide variety of issues affecting children and youth. The program consists of legislative action items and policy statements.
LEGISLATIVE ACTION ITEMS (LAI’s) are requests for the introduction, passage, or defeat of specific legislation by the General Assembly and/or regulations by the Board of Education or other appropriate agencies.
POLICY/POSITION STATEMENTS (PS): Statements of Virginia PTA on general issues that may be used as the basis for addressing issues before the General Assembly, Virginia Board of Education or other appropriate agencies.
This year’s program calls for
- LAI - Ordinances that prohibit or regulate firearms retailers within designated Gun Free School zones,
- PS - The establishment of guidelines for alternatives to short-term and long-term suspensions, and
- PS - Sensible juvenile justice reforms.
As a member of LTES PTA (Not a member? JOIN NOW), Virginia PTA NEEDS YOUR input on this program to represent you and determine its legislative priorities for the General Assembly in 2017. We will be sending out a brief electronic survey on the PLP to PTA members later this week. All votes are needed by Friday, October 28th.
Every 5 years, the LTES PTA Bylaws are updated and approved by the current PTA members. (Not a member? JOIN NOW) At the September PTA Meeting, the Bylaws and Standing Rules were presented and posted on the LTES PTA website for your review. Take a few minutes to review the Bylaws. Contact the Bylaws chairperson, Ed Hau, with any questions for change requests. To approve the Bylaws, attend our next PTA Meeting on October 28th or send an email to the Bylaws chairperson and the PTA president expressing your approval of the 2017 LTES PTA Bylaws before the meeting on October 28th.
At our PTA General Membership meetings, we discuss the budget and current status of activities and events being planned. We also take 10-15 minutes to learn something new. In September, our new Principal, Ms. Wiatta Padmore, shared a little about who she is, what her educational philosophy is, and how she plans to lead our school this year. At the month's meeting, Ms. Padmore will be sharing about our focus as a school and Ms. Carnahan, our librarian, will present on use of the FCPS databases. Every month, we plan to have an interesting topic, but would really like to know what you would like to learn more about. It does not have to be related to London Towne Elementary but should be a topic that will enhance families, children, and our overall community. Send your recommendations to Janeen Parrott at email@example.com.
There are several programs that are sponsored and managed by the VA PTA, some of which are listed below. We would like to have a Student Programs Chairperson who will take the lead to understand the rules of each program and help promote, judge, and submit entries for them. We missed the deadline for this year’s Reflections Program, but we would like LTES to have entries for the other programs. There are links below to the VAPTA website, which has additional information. Please contact Mark McLendon, firstname.lastname@example.org or Laura Sechrist, email@example.com if you have questions or would like to be the chairperson for LTES entries into these programs.
- Citizenship Essay Project - 2016-2017 Theme: "We the People...Why Vote?"
(Entries Due to LTES PTA – Friday, January 6, 2017)
Today's political climate requires us to reflect more and more on our civic responsibilities. Do you ask, "does my vote count and does it really matter if I don't vote"?" Answer these questions and more as you submit your entry into Virginia PTA's Citizenship Essay Contest.
- 2016-17 Power Plates
(Entries Due to LTES PTA – Friday, January 27, 2017)
Power Plates is Virginia PTA’s student recipe program to encourage healthy eating habits. Students can enter their original, healthy recipes in three easy steps: write down the recipe, fill out the Student Entry Form, and take a picture of the dish.
- 2017-18 National PTA Reflections Theme Search
(Theme Ideas Due to LTES PTA – ASAP or by October 31, 2017)
The student who submits the winning entry will receive $100, and his or her theme will be announced at the National PTA Convention and Exhibition in June 2017. The National PTA Reflections program encourages students to explore the arts and express themselves by giving positive recognition for their artistic efforts. Since it was founded in 1969 by Mary Lou Anderson, millions of students have benefited from this program. Reflections Awards Program Students in create theme-based artwork in dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography or visual arts.
Feel free to contact any member of the board or committee chairperson with your questions, comments or suggestions for the LTES PTA.